Once upon a time there was a lady who in 2006 campaigned in Singapore for more responsibility towards waste generation. Some stuff was done: the formal introduction of recycling for each household in 2008……and not much more. So she decided to take matters into her own hand starting with the Singapore Marathon in 2017 and found a bunch of people who wanted the same thing.
We Are Back
Through contact with the Public Hygiene Council, we are now collaborating with the Sundown Marathon four weeks before the event to do much more. The totally supportive organisers have been raising awareness a couple of weeks before the event:
With a week to go, we went out to engage participants to agree to Bin It
Photo credits to MJ Photography
With one day to go, the Green Ambassadors are getting geared up to get out there to see if we can create a clean safe run with 25,000 participants being educated to look at the bin colour to understand what can be binned. #NoMoreRunningTossers #BinItRight #SafeRunsForAll
Change is happening for safer, more sustainable runs that is part of the circular economy. So what the initiatives we’ve got going will ensure
- 5000 of the 30000 Plastic bottles + bottle caps to repurposed by Playeum
- Cans, rest of plastic bottles, cardboard boxes, paper cups to be sold by cleaning company for recycling
- Wooden pallets will be picked up by another company who will reuse them
- About 1.2 tonnes of Banana skins to community gardens for composting
- Cooked food waste for bio-digesting
- And hopefully a cleaner safer run for all without having to run through other runners’ trash and potentially slipping on cups/bottles as well as having gel wrappers stuck to the bottom of your shoe.
By using nudges to:
- Remind runners to Bin it
- Fun questions to encourage the participants to use their recycleables to vote
- Volunteer runners with signage amongst the pack to remind runners to Bin It
- Volunteer trash directors to direct participants to put their trash into the right bin
It’s gonna be a fun packed night at the Sundown Marathon.